- Supports lifting of siege of Gaza and has stated this publicly.
- Has condemned Israel's action in Gaza and as ex-vice Chair of Labour Friends of Israel was criticised by some constituents for his condemnation.
- Claims Marvi Marwara was not carrying aid and that those on board were seeking to provoke an Israeli response but says Israeli action was disproportionate.
- Supports two state solution and pressed me to give personal/Brent PSC/National PSC position for or against.
- Similarly supports Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state and pressed me for our position.
- Won't sign EDM 124 on European relations with Israel as issue too complex to be encapsulated in an EDM. Such EDMs do no one any favours.
- Said Livni application under Universal Jurisdiction was not serious and done for publicity. Such appplications only need prima facie evidence and should need weightier evidence and be dealt with at a more senior legal level. Wouldn't support political decision on such applications but then noted politicians often also have a legal role. He awaits government proposals to form a view.
- Question's democratic credentials of Hamas's election but thinks eventual negotiation with them is inevitable.
- Condemns neighbouring Arab states' treatment of Palestinians within their borders and they way they have used them and their conditions as a stick with which to beat Israel. Several could have used their great wealth to help the Palestinians.
Martin Francis, Chair, Brent PSC